Monday 16 April 2012

Week 9 - Music Front Cover Pre-production

Music Front Cover Pre-production


As the magazine genre I chose for my magazine (world music) does not currently have any of its type already on the market, I decided to do my research based on magazines from different places in the world. This is because my magazine does not focus on a particular genre from different parts of the world; it features various genre's of music from different places in the world.
For example Rap in India to Jazz in Mauritus. Every week I plan to make one country the magazines focus, along with all the other articles.

The country my magazine that I am currently producing focus' on is India (Rap sensation Yashawini Bah)





Researching names was an important part of  my  pre-production as the cultures featured in my magazine are very varied. I googled names from different parts of the world including meanings, surnames, regions etc.

This is a printscreen of some female Indian names I found on google along with their meanings


This printscreen shows the name I chose for my artist (hightlighted). I chose the name Yashawini as I thought it was catchy and I liked the meaning. 'Successful lady'.

This printscreen shows further research on names, this time from Portugal with Spanish/Italian decent.


As the theme of the week for the magazine I'm producing is India, I did some further more indepth research on it.



As India’s first female hip-hop artist, Hard Kaur’s fresh appeal has broken down barriers in the entertainment business and her music, with its generous dose of Punjabi, is celebrated from dance floors to movie sets.



Hip Hop music in India had started at around 1990 and Baba Sehgal is credited as India's first rapper.




Hip Hop music became all the more famous with the song 'Pettai Rap' from the Tamil movie Kadhalan starring Prabhu Deva(music composed by A.R Rahman). Canadian based Raghav further laid steady foundations for Hip Hop/RnB music in India. California based Punjabi rapper Bohemia became one of the best-known pioneers of Punjabi rap in the country  International artists such as 50 Cent, Mobb Deep, and The Black Eyed Peas have performed in India.


'Pettai Rap' from the Tamil movie Kadhalan


 'Pettai Rap' from the Tamil movie Kadhalan

'Pettai Rap' from the Tamil movie Kadhalan



California based Punjabi rapper Bohemia became one of the best-known pioneers of Punjabi rap


Typical Indian female hiphop artists

Nandy Kur, typical Indian female artist


In what ways does your media product use, develop or challenge forms and conventions of real media products?


My media product challenges the forms and coventions of real media products in various ways. There are no magazines in the world right now currently offering what my magazine does. A magazine which has a vast variety of genre's, cultures and countries. There are no current Indian female rap artists who wears their traditional attire whilst performing (like the artist on the front cover of my magazine does)
Because I'm challenging the forms and conventions of music magazines on the market at the moment, I am targeting a different and much wider audience. My audience would have to be those who are not neccissarily focused on one particular genre but are more interested in the world of music as a whole, for example music academics.



How does your media product represent particular social groups?

As my target audience was men and women between the ages of 18-45 who are interested in music from different genre’s and different parts of the world. I feel the social group my magazine should be representing is varied as different genre's represent different types of people. For example rock music is commonly linked to white men in the D/E category between the age of 14-45 being very masculine and strong. Where as grime music on the other hand is linked to young black youth (mainly males) in the E/U category.
So because my magazine features most genre's I think the social group it should try to focus on would be whatever the theme is for that particular week (India and Rap) so hopefully my magazine is representing Indian woman who embrace their culture and also people who love rap music; young males & females of all 'categories'.

What kind of media institution might distribute your media product and why?
Any store that you can purchase music albums from would distribute my magazine as there is something for everyone in the magazine due to the fact the genre of the magazine is wide open, there's something that will suit almost everyones musical tastes especially people who listen to almost of different styles of music. I also think online franchises such as Itunes would sell my magazine (to be delivered as maybe a monthly or weekly contract).
Emap.

Who would be the audience for your media product?
Men and women between the ages of 18-45 who are interested in music from different genre’s and different parts of the world.






All the images above represent diversity.


How would you attract/address your audience?
Through relevant color scheming and featuring articles and musicians my readers will be enthusistic to read about.


What have you learnt about technologies from the process of constructing this product?


This is the original image that I inserted into photoshop. My artist had dark circles around her eyes that needed to be sorted out

After locating the correct tool to use to get rid of her dark circles this is what my image looked like

I also found out that I could change nearly everything about an image on photoshop. For example lip stick color, skin complextion, spots, scars etc.

Looking back at your preliminary task what do you feel you have learnt in the progression from it to the full product?
I feel that my understanding and respect for what a certain audience wants has broadend and I am able to carry out effective plans of action to ensure that any given media product I am creating be it college magazine or global music magazine gives the consumer what they want.


The next thing I did was start planning colour schemes, placing and cover stories for the magazine.



I started thinking of names and what different countries I'd want to be featured in my magazine.

The names I came up with were:

  • Worldwide Music
I felt this title was straight to the point and would be appreciated by readers who werent interested in fancy names but rather the actual content of the magazine.
  • Lyrically Sweet
The world 'lyrically' ties in with music and I just felt the word sweet gave it a nice ring

  • Couture Noise
I felt this was interesting and very different, I also felt the word 'couture' suggets an element of class. I chose to use the word noise alongside this as a way to express that the magazine is 'loud' it is known, it is 'heard'/read by people all across the globe. However it is still classy hence the use of the word infront of it.

  • Sweet Sensation
I liked the use of alliteration and the fact that alliterative titles usually are easy to remember and automatically attract attention.

  • Global Voice
I felt this title was strong and simple. My magazine would be seen as 'the voice for the globe'. No catches or fancy words infront just plain, simple and to the point.

  • Global Melody
This is the title I decided to go with because apart from the lovely ring it has to it. It highlights the two main reasons for the magazine. It will be known globally and is a 100% about music.

These were just a few of the names I had thought about.





No comments:

Post a Comment